Friday, October 30, 2009

Bay Bridge Closure woes, not for me, I work from home!

Bay Bridge likely closed through weekend

The Bay Bridge has been closed since Tuesday and there still isn't a definite time for reopening. It has been causing traffic jams all over the Bay Area. Even additional BART trains and ferries have not been able to alleviate the congestion. Instead of adding to the problem, I am working from home...

This brings back memories of the huge flood we had winter of '97. I remember the roads and bridges were flooded. At the time, I took Dumbarton Bridge to work. News reports indicated the right lanes were flooded over and closed. I carpooled at the time and we decided to take detours around the bridge instead of taking our chances in the traffic. I think everyone had the same idea. After trying to get to work unsuccessfully for hours, we decided to stop off for lunch at Noon. We were on the road in traffic for over 4 hours and not even close to our destination. We finally gave up and just went home. The entire day was wasted and unproductive. The only thing we got out of the day was lots of frustration!

If I had the tools back then that I have now, I could have stayed home and worked the entire day. The company and I would have been much happier :-)

1 comment:

  1. Ahh, the flooding of 880 between Thornton and Decoto. I didn't actually drive through it, but I heard it was like called Lake Thornton.

    Anyway, I have never had such difficulty getting to work when I worked in San Jose; and, I work in Foster City now and I have never had to turn back from failing to commute. There have been limited bridge outs for me, but this one is the longest and pretty much adds more hassle and congestion, but still doable. Thank God.

    ReplyDelete